FW: HOW TO REMOVE WINDOWS GENUINE NOTIFICATION IN WINDOWS XP.
This post was updated on .
HOW TO REMOVE WINDOWS GENUINE NOTIFICATION IN WINDOWS XP. Symptoms of the problem
Clients need the Windows Genuine Notifications to be taken off from the screen.
Actual problem found
There is an executable running on the machine, that causes this problem.
1. Restart your computer in Safe Mode
2. Navigate to "My Computer"
3. Navigate to the Drives that hold Windows
4. Navigate to your Windows Folder
5. Navigate to the System32 Folder
6. Locate the file named "WGATRAY.EXE" and delete that file ONLY. In
some cases, in order to delete this, firstly delete the file, a screen
confirming the deletion of the file will pop up. Do not click on anything,
instead leave that message and open the Task Manager screen by pressing CTRL
ALT and DELETE and on the Processes tab, under the image name column, you
will see WGATRAY.EXE. Select it and click on End Process. The Task Manage
warning message will pop up asking if you are sure to terminate the program.
Click YES and immediately proceed to click YES on the other confirmation
7. Navigate to the DLLCACHE folder and also delete the file named
8. Go to the Start menu, and click on "RUN"
9. In the run box, type regedit and press enter
10. THE NEXT STEP COULD CAUSE HARM TO YOUR SYSTEM IF NOT FOLLOWED
CORRECTLY (warning please follow closely)
11. Navigate to the following from the left hand panel:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS NT\CURRENT VERSION\WIN
12. Once you are in the same location as step 11. Please delete the folder
"wgalogon" and all of its content.
13. Now reboot and you will not be bothered with the validation any longer
What can be done to resolve this problem from reoccurring in future!
Follow the above steps. When you update WINDOWS from now on, please do not
choose to install the Windows validation tool.